First, you can NOT check your breath by blowing into your hand...
This doesn’t work. Your senses become used to the smell of your own bad breath. Your body is designed so that you cannot detect your own odour. It’s a process called acclimation which we have developed over centuries of evolution – it helps us to be able to distinguish strange smells quickly without being overwhelmed with our own particular odours. You breathe your own breath constantly so you become accustomed to your own smell. Blow all day and you may not smell a thing even as people are backing away from you slowly
Here are 6 effective ways to test your own breath at home:
1. The Cotton Test: Wipe the top surface of your tongue with a piece of cotton gauze and smell it. This is probably the most honest way. Also, if you notice a yellowish stain on the cotton, it's likely that you have an elevated sulfide production level.
2. The Lick Test: Lick the back of your hand. Let that dry for about 10 seconds and then smell. If you notice an odour, you may have a breath disorder because the sulfur salts from your tongue have been transferred to your hand.
3. The Dental Floss Test: Run a piece of dental floss between your back teeth (this is the mostly likely place where you may get food caught) and then smell the floss. This may be an indication of the level of odours others detect.
4. The Mirror Test: Stand in front of the mirror and stick your tongue out as far as possible. If you notice that the very back of your tongue is whitish, it may be a sign that you have bad breath.
5. The Observation Test: Judge the reaction of others when you interact with them. After using The Breath Company products, our patients tell us that they are no longer offered gum and mints and people no longer step away from them. It has significantly changed their confidence and improved their lives.
6. The Ask Test: Ask the opinion of someone you can trust (a good friend, a spouse, even your kids). Ask them to check your breath several times daily because breath changes throughout the day.